Friday, February 1, 2008

'Goal!'


I rented a movie out of boredness and unlike many people I LOVE watching the previews. As I'm watching the previews a preview for a movie called 'Goal!' comes on.


Quick Synoposis: Mexican-American living in the Barrios section of Los Angeles with some awesome skills for my favorite game, football (soccer for Americans). Newcastle United offers him a trial, he goes over to England, and becomes a football player. If you want to know more check out http://www.imdb.com/ (plug). There's also a sequal Goal II: Living the Dream.


This movie came out in England while I lived there and let me tell you America and England have marketed this movie in two very different ways.

In America the trailer is all about the lead being the under dog, trying to catch a break, growing up in poverty, how he makes it, he gets his chance, WHOO HOO the American Dream, the self made man, rags to riches.


In England, sex, sex, parties, sex, parties AND more SEX! The trailer for the English movie goer starts off with the lead character in, what appears to be, a large orgy. Then cuts to his coaches/trainers scolding him because he is not focused on the game and cares more about getting 'some' and spending lavish amounts of money on nothing.

When I was in England I had no intentions of EVER viewing the movie, but while watching the American trailor I thought I might rent it, until I found out it was the same movie I swore off in England.


America and that dream of ours.

No comments: