Saturday, February 2, 2008

Parson Brown




Somedays I wonder why my mind wanders.

'In the meadow we can build a snowman then pretend that he is Parson Brown'
If you answered: 'Walking In A Winter Wonderland' YOU'RE RIGHT! Unfortuanalty you don't win anything, because I'm a poor college student and there was no question.

So who IS Parson Brown?! We sing about him/her every year but does anyone REALLY, I mean REALLY know who it is?!

I ask around and no one knows. So I decided to do some hard hitting investigating. GOOGLE! I find the answer on
www.urbandictionary.com (plug)

I'll copy paste the answer:


"
Parson Brown" is the term used to talk about a typical angelican priest of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. "Parson Brown" is not an actual person (though he might have been at some time), but a figure of speech, like "John Doe" is an unidentified male and "Charley" is a watchman. "Parson" by itself means minister.


The classic line from Winter Wonderland:"In the meadow we can build a snowman Then pretend that he is Parson Brown He'll say 'Are you married ?', We'll say 'No man, For you can do the job when you're in town.'

Sure, it sounds like some kind of sexual reference, but its not. It's just a priest asking a couple if they are married. They reply that they are not and that they will wait for him to "do the job" of marrying them when he comes to their town.

Mystery Sloved!

2 comments:

Northwestern Bloggers said...

cool stuff

Fred said...

Hi, Shauna. I love the picture you posted. Like I told you, it reminds me of the "Calvin & Hobbes" snowmen. Check out this allery of vintage C&H snowmen strips:

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/zzaran/calvin.html