Thursday, March 13, 2008

Are Women Really to Blame?


I'm not sure if everyone knows the story of how the three Abrahamic Religions (Judaism, Christianity and Islam) started, but I'm starting to get this feeling that maybe there was only suppose to be one religion after all.


Before I even start I want to state for the record that I'm an agnostic. I don't believe in one particular religion or God. I believe in a higher power that explains that which can't be explained in the universe. I'm not pushing religion on anyone, just expand your minds with me for a while.


How It All Started

Abraham was a Jew and lived in Mesopotamia, he was married to Sarah, who was barren. Feeling guilty of not being able to give a child to Abraham, Sarah asked her maid, Hagar to sleep with Abraham and become pregnant. (Is it getting confusing yet?) 9 months later out pops Ishmael. Three strangers visit Abraham and promise him that there will be more members of his family than their are grains of sand, and Sarah will be the mother. Sarah mysteriously gets pregnant by Abraham and out pops Issac.


Evan though Ishmael is the first born, Issac becomes the child of the covenant and is considered the first born. Sarah becomes jealous of Hagar and Ishmael (the illegitimate child) and asks them to leave, so they do. Ishmael's line will form Islam.


Issac will later marry Rebecca and have 12 sons (one of which is GO GO GO GO JOSEPH!) aka The 12 Tribes of Israel.

One Religion

So here's my thinking, If Sarah hadn't jumped the gun and asked Hagar to sleep with Ab, there would only be one religion (assuming Jesus never came around) Judaism. We would be a world of Jews. Speaking in terms of facts, if the three Arbrahamic religions believe in one God (well give Christianity a break here) and Judaism is the oldest of the three, why would that said God want to form two new religions devoted to him. I mean I know his/her/it's name is God, but no one can be that conceited.


So poor Sarah, she might as well go up there with Eve.












1 comment:

Ilma said...

I didn't know about Sarah...well the story behind all that jazz before. haha. That was very interesting.